Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Guest Blogger...Cara Putman


Dreaming Big

Do you dream? No, not at night – at least not only then. But dream about what your life could be? About ways God could use you, your kids, your family?

Sometimes we run so fast through life that we forget how to stop and just be. To step back from everything we are doing and ask God how much more He wants us to do and be. Just because He wanted me to do something today doesn’t mean that’s what I’m supposed to do for the rest of my life. But if we don’t stop and dream, we’ll be stuck in a rut. It might be a good rut, but if it’s not God’s best, it’s not what I want.

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines dream as many things including a strongly desired goal or purpose or something that fully satisfies a wish.

I like that. A strongly desired goal or purpose. Sometimes we become afraid to dream because we’re afraid it won’t come true. Or we’ll miss God. Or we’ll run right past Him in pursuit of something that might not be from Him or in His timing.

However, the Scripture is clear that where there is no vision the people perish. Proverbs 29:18. If I don’t have a vision for how my day will go, it usually goes nowhere. If I don’t have a vision for how I will discipline my children when the need arises, I often regret the way it happens. If my husband and I don’t have a vision for our finances, we can easily spend out of control. But where we have a vision and a plan, we accomplish things we didn’t know were possible.
The same principle carries over to other areas of our lives. Psalm 37:4 says that God will give us the desires of our hearts when we delight in Him. You know why? I think it’s because the closer we get to Him and His heart, the more we will long for the things in our lives that He wants in our lives.

And He plants dreams in our hearts. You know what I’m talking about. That idea or thing in your heart that you’re scared to tell anybody about because it is so precious and personal to you that you can’t stand the thought of somebody telling you that you’re crazy. But it won’t die. Even when God says not now, He blows just enough breath on the dream that the embers don’t burn out.

One of my long held dreams was to be a writer. I have loved books for as long as I can remember. And since I was about 13 I have wanted to write. For years, God would say, “Not yet.” But I’d read books and books on the craft of writing, and I’d hold on to the dream. After all He never said, No – just not yet.

Last week I learned my publisher was going to send me two more contracts. That makes three contracts in six months. Only God could accomplish something like that. And now He’s whispering that it’s time for my dream to grow.

What’s He been whispering in your heart? Whether it’s a dream for your family, for your marriage, for you personally, I encourage you to pull it out this week. Blow the dust off it, and ask God about it. Then wait for His words and direction to whisper in your heart.
Let’s believe God for those dreams that feel like miracles!

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, 06 March, 2007, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Cara, I'm SOOO excited about your book contracts! I truly believe God wants us to step out in faith. When the Israelites had to cross the Jordan into the promised land, they had to take a step into the river at flood stage BEFORE God parted the waters. I know God is faithful. I trust that!

 
At Wednesday, 07 March, 2007, Blogger AngBreidenbach said...

Cara-this is such amazingly good news! Congratulations. My dream is to make a difference in the world for Christ. I want to do this by writing, speaking, and mentoring. I've dreamt this for a long time. My first book is in with an agent now. I was asked to take a speaking position at a girl's camp this summer (they changed the date and I can't, but they ASKED!) I'm at the beginning:-) I feel it. I taste it. I dream it. I pray it. I live it. It will happen. I feel called into this place in my life. I'm excited like a horse stamping at the race gate.
Congratulations! I look forward to following in your footsteps.
Angie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle