Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Big Lessons from a Little Devotion by Gina Conroy


Today's guest blogger is my friend, Gina Conroy. You can find out more about Gina here.

The other morning I sat down with my three and five-year-old for a quick devotion. I usually don't get around to devotions with my little ones, but on this morning I had managed some quiet time myself before they got up. When they came to sit besides me I set aside my Bible and seized the moment, never knowing that their children's devotion would be just what I needed.

Giving Up Things for Jesus

That was the title of the lesson taken from Luke 5:10-11 and the story about when Jesus called Simon to follow Him. Simon loved to fish. It was all he knew to do, and he was good at it. But Jesus wanted Simon to tell others about the Kingdom of God. Jesus wanted Simon to follow Him.

Wow! That totally hit me where I was. Loving something so much, something I was good at and felt called to, and then being asked to give it up.

Jesus didn’t promise Simon would always have a roof over his head, or the road would be easy. He simply said, “be a fisher of men.” And that’s what Simon did.

Simon could have stayed behind and continued fishing, and he probably would have been happy and content. But Simon gave up what he loved. He traded in his fishing gear for something better.

Jesus.

The devotion ended with this scripture. “If you want to save your life, you will destroy it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find it.” Matthew 16:25

If I'm obedient to what He asked of me, God will bless me with something more than I could ever imagine. I’m clinging to that as I walk in obedience to what He has spoken to my heart.

Most times I think to really hear from God everything has to be perfect. The house needs to be still with praise music playing in the background as the sweet aroma of coffee and vanilla candles fills the room. But God met me where I was on this morning. He knew what I needed and honored my laying down of my own quiet time with Him to meet the needs of my children. Though the devotion only took a couple of minutes, God used that time and spoke volumes to my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle