Sunday, May 21, 2006

LITTLE GIRL IN THE 70'S . . .

If YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL IN THE 70'S . . .
(As forwarded to me via email. Enjoy!)

You had that Fisher Price Doctor 's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked.







You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it.



You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels.





You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!).







You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island.







You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days.



You owned a "Slip-n-Slide" on which you injured yourself on a sprinkler head more than once.







You owned "Klick-Klacks" and smacked yourself in the face more than once.




You had either a "bowl cut" or "pixie," not to mention the "Dorothy Hamill." People sometimes thought you were a boy.







Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession.






You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers.







You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon.



You had the Donnie and Marie dolls wit h those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits.





You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once.

You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color. (Oh yeah!)


You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle).

You also had a pair of salt-water sandals.

You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad. you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture, and you despised Nellie Olson!


You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink!

Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty" with the comb you kept in your back pocket. When you walked, the "wings" flapped up and down, looked like you were gonna "take off."

You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie.



You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic. With the thermos inside!





You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend. YOU had Star Wars action figures, too!

It was a big event in your household each year when the "Wizard of Oz" would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags!



You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: "Who will I marry. Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or David Cassidy?"




You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album.

You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom. You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts!




You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker.





You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat.










You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books (Are you there God, It's me, Margaret.)






You thought Olivia Newton John's song "Physical" was about aerobics.






You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces with heart or rainbow designs.

You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer.


You drowned yourself in Love's Baby Soft - which was the first "real" perfume you ever owned . . .


AND you glopped your lips in Strawberry Roll-on lip gloss till it almost dripped off.

16 Comments:

At Monday, 22 May, 2006, Blogger writerlysoul said...

Talk about a blast from the past! I've never had an email with "if you grew up in the 70's" that targeted ME as accurately as this one did!

BTW, Shaun Cassidy was my guy of choice. I even had the baby blue satin jacket with his face and autograph emblazoned across the back of it. I wore it with pride while my mom cringed in horror!

 
At Monday, 22 May, 2006, Blogger BookCafe said...

Oh, wow! I was born in '77, so I'm more an 80s baby, but I still could relate to soooo much of this post! The Love's Baby Soft, and strawberry roll-on lip gloss (I still have one that I got for my 8th birthday--20 years ago!!!--- but I'd NEVER use it now! LOL), and I had the metal lunchbox with the thermos, and the hair ribbons, and the "real" rollerskates, and went to roller-rinks. :P Too funny!

Hey... have you seen the movie, "13 Going on 30" starring Jennifer Garner? Right at the beginning of the movie, she is wearing this purple sweater with pink hearts across the chest, and she's got shoulder-length hair with big puffy bangs ... that was EXACTLY ME! I had the same, exact sweater even!!! LOLOL... It was hilarious!

<>< Mizbooks

 
At Monday, 22 May, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

13 Going on 30 is SERIOUSLY one of my all-time favorite movies. I think I should learn the "Thriller" dance and perform it for my book launch party for Generation NeXt Parenting. What do you think???

Also, I can't believe you still have the strawbetter roll-on lip gloss. That's so cool!

And glimpsing gal, I had a green satin jacket. I wasn't THAT cool, because it didn't have a photo on it.

I LOVED Rob Lowe. What a hottie! Oh, and Matt Dillon too!

 
At Tuesday, 23 May, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

These were great!! I could answer yes to most of them. Loved Leif Garrett & Luke Duke WAS my boyfriend! :^)

 
At Saturday, 12 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, you know, my mom moved into assisted living two years ago, and when we cleaned out her dresser, there were about a dozen of those god's eyes and some of those potholders, too!!!

 
At Monday, 14 January, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yea! singing that song "I think I love you" by the partridge family and KNOWING that David Cassidy was singing right to me!
My k-tel presents records....
Those baby-alive dolls with that god awful tasting food (nooooo I din't try it mom!- answered while wiping off my tongue ;)
Making cartoons come off onto my silly putty (which didn't taste too good either ;)
Using PASTE at school.
Those are just some of the things I remember ;)
P.S. orange bang at the skating rinks and necklaces out of pop-tops from soda cans

 
At Wednesday, 16 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay then, who forgot the Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers that you wore on a string around your neck? And of course there was the requisite slumber party. Ashamedly, I had this thing for the Saturday morning cartoon about Tarzan. And he always had a moral at the end.

I hated clutch purses, those skinny ribbons worn as a "bow tie" with preppy shirts, and Ayds diet candies that Mom always had in the fridge.

And what about Yo-Yo's shoes, remember they had the hole in the sole? What a horrible way to market platforms.

Yes I wore gauchos, but I also had way too much velour around to be healty. That, and OP t-shirts (Ocean Pacific, remember?)

I did love the fact that Coke bottles were quart size and you got six GLASS ones in a carry carton.
Ahh, the good old days...

 
At Thursday, 17 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man...FLASHBACK CITY. I've sent a link to about fifty people. This list was great.

 
At Monday, 21 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, this was just a little bit scary. I cringe to think that this post was about 80% true for me. Remember Pet Rocks?

 
At Wednesday, 06 February, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, no, please don't remind me! I even had a Strawberry Shortcake bedspread. And weren't those Moon boots too warm? I hated them. Thanks for sharing the memories. Do I dare show this to my kids? :)

 
At Thursday, 07 February, 2008, Blogger godlessgrrl said...

Holy cow! That's hilarious... and so true! I really DID have a Muppets lunchbox...

 
At Thursday, 13 March, 2008, Blogger Prayer Warrior said...

LOL!!! I'm guilty!!! I was one of those who tape recorded favorite songs off the radio onto my tape recorder!! LOL....I also used to pretend I was a DJ on the radio and tape record interviews and even secretly tape record people talking when at summer camp!

Other things I remember is Dynamints! (sort of like tic tacs! but fruitier tasting)...and marathon choc. caramel candy bars!

 
At Wednesday, 22 April, 2009, Anonymous thebreeze said...

Wow... That all seems like yesterday!! I had them all... I cant remember who made those lip glosses... Loved them. Anyone know the brand... I remember them being strawberry and the smell was so good.

 
At Wednesday, 31 March, 2010, Anonymous clawed66 said...

Try being the girl in class who was named Laura and was from Kansas! This is so funny and so true. We would play CHIPs on our bicycles too (I thought Ponch was cute). Oh, and Pop Rocks were awesome!

Did anyone else watch the Bionic Woman and the Six Million Dollar Man?

 
At Wednesday, 09 March, 2011, Anonymous Lisa said...

Bionic Woman was my hero. More random 70's/80's memories. The Barbie head where you could style her hair and makeup, Superstar Barbie in the long hot pink dress, Wacky Packs trading cards, Cher doll, Honeybunch Kids w/ Clubhouse, The Sunshine Family Dolls, Light Brite, Spyrograph, Creepy Crawlers, Mystery Date...

 
At Wednesday, 16 March, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and of course... K-Tel record albums.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle