Friday, August 11, 2006

Guest Blogger...Gina Conroy

Moments Like These...

Sweets sounds from Gracie, my four year old, echo through the darkened room where she and my hubby share a snuggle moment. He’s just finished telling her a princess story he made up.“Come on dad. Sing with me. Tale with old as time. Ah ah ah. True as his cam be (some very mumbled but on tune words)….just a little chance. True why his cam be. Sing with me, dad.”

Reluctant hums come from my husband. Let’s just say my kids didn’t get their musical talent from him. I sit in the dark, wanting to savor the sweetness of the moment. With three older brothers, Gracie sometimes resembles a rough and tumble boy. Right now she’s all ruffles and lace.
“Now it’s my turn to tell a story,” she says. “Once upon a time there was a prince named Joey who picked his nose. He was a piggy, piggy, piggy.” (So much for my little princess.) There was a prince named Timmy who didn’t pick his nose and he was a nice one.”

I ask, “Where did you hear that story?”“Chris told me that.” She continues the story. “Mom is the nice queen and Gigi (mom’s friend) is the bad queen. And the policeman took Joey away in the big bad jungle and there were animals and they eat him.

”I interject, “I don’t like your story it’s not nice.”

“Now Joey doesn’t pick his buggars. Next prince dad comes and prince mom and she’s a nice queen. Prince dad loves me and Timmy.”

“Is that the end?”

“NO! And bliblubleedadada. There’s the end.”

Moments like these were meant for blogging!

http://portraitofawriter.blogspot.com
Reprinted with permission

1 Comments:

At Friday, 11 August, 2006, Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

Aren't those the moments when you say to yourself, "You know, these ARE the good old days!"

To Love, Honor and Dismay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle