Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Guest Blogger: Debra Henderson

Today's guest blogger is Debra Henderson from at thegownbook.com:

I have always felt that being a present and centered parent is my first job. Whatever it took to be there and not psycho (meds, mother's day out, naps, even a dirty house or a maid) was what was required of me.

As an educated career woman I made the conscious decision to be a stay-at-home mom. Although, I rarely just stayed home, I always knew that keeping a spotless house and/or great meals was not my priority.

I fear that many moms who don't work outside the home feel pressured to make up for the loss of income by overdoing things in the domestic department, to the detriment of the kids.

Volunteering at church or school and making sure all is in order should always take a back seat to communicating worth and values to the little ones under your care. The neglect in nutrition or clothing is far less common and has shorter term effects than neglecting to value and enjoy these precious ones while they are young and desperately need you to value them.

"Value time" is far harder than "quality time" and way more taxing than gifts to give. But is also holds greater rewards for both the parent and the child.

I know that I am a better person because of the inspiration I have received from my children. I also have the priceless knowledge that I have no regrets for the time I have invested in them.

Though, dirty dishes waited till the next day and laundry has piled up to everyone's despair, I would not take back a moment of the value time I have spent to do more chores. I hope all of you spent more "value time" this fall with all who you love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle