Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Thoughts on Basketball and the Bible...

Basketball season is here! Go Crusaders! What does this mean? Well, almost every weekend between now and February 15th (except for the weekend before Christmas), we'll be watching Cory and Leslie play basketball.

Last Friday and Saturday we watched four great games! My kids played awesome, and we had some wins. (Okay, our girls' team is 34-0 ... they haven't lost in a few years, but as I remind my daughter we need to watch out that pride doesn't creep into our hearts! What they accomplish is only through God's strength.) The cool thing is that both our kids are playing better than ever, and we've really seen an improvement over the past few years.

The hard thing about basketball season is that we travel all over the state because we're part of the Christian school/homeschool league. It's not uncommon to travel 4-5 hours for 1-2 games!

The fun thing about basketball season is that we're together as a family. We ride together, eat together, stay in the same hotel room (I was told I snore!), and we enjoy hanging out. It's also fun to hang out with the other families. We're blessed to enjoy the good people who have the same family goals we do ... which is to focus on Christian character and have fun in the process.

I spend time before games, after games, meals, etc. chatting with some of the other moms. Some of them recently started reading my novels, which is fun. They love asking me questions about research, and they are eager to hear the "true stories" behind the novels.

This came to mind this morning when I was reading Called and Accountable by Henry and Norman Blackaby. Because our kids our on the same team, because we spend hours and hours and hours together every weekend, I'm able to give these people the inside scoop. Not every reader is so privileged. Most people just have to guess at which parts are true, or read my blog for some of the "true stories" I post every now or then.

I'm so glad that no matter who we are, or where we live, or if we have kids playing basketball or not, we ALWAYS have the Author of the Holy Bible to meet with us as we read His word. The Blackabys write, "As a person approaches the Bible and opens its pages, he or she comes face to face with the Author--God! The Holy Spirit is present to open the mind and heart of the child of God to an immediate Word from God for his or her life (John 14:16-17; John 16:13-15; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16). Without this commitment to encounter God in His Word, one is left to human reasoning alone--something that will never lead to God or an understanding of His Word." p. 13

Human reason will never lead to God or an understanding of His Word. And I'm so thankful that when I open my Bible and pray for God to meet me, the Holy Spirit is quick to connect God's Word to a truth that will impact my life in a real way. He will never not show up when I ask!

So, I'm sorry dear friend, if you're not traveling with the Crusaders I most like won't have time to sit down with you and explain all the research behind my books. But ... I know an Author who is eager to meet you anytime, any place, to share His story with you in a real and personal way!

(P.S. And if you don't know this Author and want to know how ... email me at: fromdustandashes@hotmail.com I'd love to share how you can meet Him for real!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle