Thursday, May 25, 2006

Cutloose, footloose by Cara Putman


Hi! I’d like to introduce today’s guest blogger, Cara Putman—Gen X mom, writer, and attorney! Welcome Cara.

Cutloose, footloose

Ever have days where you would love to escape? Slip into an old Calgon commercial? Take me away!

I have days like that. Sometimes weeks like that.

For whatever reason I am overwhelmed by the stress of life. Sometimes it’s the trials and hearings coming up at work. Or a client who wants more from me than I can or should give. Or my children are having an off day. Or my husband is out of town and I get to play single mom for awhile.

Or if I’m really honest with myself, I admit my perspective has gotten skewed. My house no longer is more than sufficient to meet our needs. Instead of being grateful for everything God has given me, I look at it and think, “well, someday we’ll add wood floors, a fence, those great master bathroom upgrades…. Then, I’ll truly be happy.” Fill in the blank with the things you’re heart desires.

Or I look in my closet and long for a new wardrobe. It doesn’t matter that the clothes I have now are fine and dandy. Perfectly meet my needs (and the needs of three or four other women). Instead, I grouse that I only have one or two shops in town that carry my size and the styles are all wrong.

The exciting thing, though, is that God has worked on me in this area. He is actively drawing me to a place of contentment, a place where I recognize that if I have Him, I have everything I truly need.

In Philippians 4:11-12, Paul encourages the Philippians in their concern for him. I am humbled by his words each time I read them. “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.”

Lord, teach me how to be content in all things and help me pass that on to my children!

And each time I walk through Gap and realize I don’t need anything because I have everything I need and more, I thank God that contentment is growing in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle