Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who’s teeth are the whitest of all? by Cara Putman, Guest Blogger

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who’s teeth are the whitest of all?

Do you ever look in the mirror and think, “Ack! My teeth aren’t white enough! Kelley and Joy have much whiter teeth. What do people see when I smile? Maybe I shouldn’t smile. Time to get the teeth bleached. Ack!”

Comparisons sneak up on me from so many angles. It’s hard to accept who I am. Who God created me to be. Someone is a better wife. A better mother. A better lawyer. A better employee. More involved in church. A better friend. A better servant. Even as I know someone will always be thinner, smarter, have whiter teeth, I have such a hard time stopping the comparisons.

It would be easy for me to say, what else can I do when I live in a culture and society that is so full of comparisons? A culture that assaults me with standards through every TV show, movie, and magazine. Sometimes, I feel the most threat of comparisons from within the walls of the church. That I am somehow not the Christian I’m supposed to be because I don’t work full-time. Or I’m not a full-time stay-at-home-mom. Or I’m an attorney or wanted to be a journalist. Don’t you all know that Christians, particularly women, aren’t supposed to want to be those things?

As I review this, I think you can sense the angst. And what surprised me as I compared my teeth yet again to someone else’s pearlier whites, is I really thought God had dealt with me on this. I really thought I’d made progress. Sure, I have since my highly competitive, comparative early twenties. But at thirty-two there is still a large part of me that cries to know I measure up. That I am worthy as I am.

So as I wrestle with a beast inside me that I thought had been long slain, I wonder if it will ever change. Lord, help me to align my thoughts with how You see me. May I truly pray as David did in Psalm 27:4, “One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.”

I have a feeling that when I sit at His feet and bathe in light of His beauty, I will see myself as the beautiful creation He treasures, too.

2 Comments:

At Monday, 08 May, 2006, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

I have a feeling that when I sit at His feet and bathe in light of His beauty, I will see myself as the beautiful creation He treasures, too.

How beautiful, Cara. I had tears in my eyes as I read this last part.

I think most of us struggle with some kind of insecurity in our life. I'm always saying any woman who thinks she can have it all is crazy. Meaning something has to give. We have dreams and goals, and especially as mothers it's hard to make it all fit.

We have to make choices as to what is most important, and pray that we made the right ones. =)

p.s. And just for the record...you have perfect smile!!! ; )

 
At Monday, 08 May, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Good thoughts, Cara. For some reason, we as Christians are harder on each other, thinking only our journey is the correct one and criticizing those who God has called to a different journey. I think if we all felt more freedom to live the life God has given us, the urge to compare ourselves to others would be less. I think the verse in Psalms you quoted is exactly right. Our only concern is seeking the Lord. Now if we could just remember that each day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle