Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Fourteen Years Ago . . .

Today is my daughter Leslie's fourteen birthday!

Leslie is the one in the white t-shirt, and the second cutie is her best friend, Jayme. (You can even see me peeking into the photo too.)



Of course, moms have to get all sentimental when birthdays roll around. Thinking back to that day in the hospital (ouch). First teeth, first steps, first drama episode. (Leslie could barely walk when she'd dramatically lean against the closest wall and sob when she didn't get her way.)

Then there are the years in between, and since I homeschooled there are many, many memories--reading Bible Stories on the couch, teaching counting with Cheerios, and teaching her to sound out simple words. (And since Leslie ALWAYS tried to keep up with her older brother who was four years older, she could read simple words before she turned four!)

There were also the times when she curled her nose up at what I fixed for dinner and rushed to the piano to practice when she was supposed to be loading the dishwasher--oh wait, that was yesterday.

Overall, parenting a daughter has been harder than I ever imagined. There are the "easy" things to deal with. Like me she loves to read, loves connecting with people, and breezes through her homework. She's also overly opinionated and wants to take control of every situation--oh wait, that's like me too!

But most of all, my daughter has a beautiful heart and spirit. She loves God, studies His Word, and strives to live a life that pleases Him.

I couldn't ask for anything greater, but I also can't take all the credit. Her daddy and her Father have a lot to do with it. I'm just thrilled to have such a wonderful team. And I'm looking forward to what God has in store for this young lady.

Happy Birthday, Leslie!

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, 07 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Leslie! You have a terrific mom, too, (although you may have to be a mom yourself before you realize *grins*).
From a mom of two dds.

 
At Thursday, 08 June, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

We had about twenty people over last night for cake and ice cream. Leslie got a new camera, watch, and music CD. She LOVES taking pictures and I'm going to get to her take some for my blog!

She's a beautiful girl and it was a beautiful day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle