Friday, June 02, 2006

What's Old is New Again . . .

Today, in Wal-mart, I felt as if I was taken back in time. Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, Rainbow Bright. Is this 2006 or 1985?

Now Hasboro has announced the Transfomers "Classic" line. Remember OPTIMUS PRIME, Bumblebee, Astrotrain and Megatron? If so, you can also look forward to the new Transformers movie, also featuring the Classic Characters.

Okay, I have to admit, I'm actually digging the "nostaglia" thing they're doing for the benefit of Gen Xers. My checkbook is proof. I recently purchased (for myself) "Classic" Superman, Charlie's Angels, and Trans AM t-shirts. (I couldn't resist . . . they were on clearance!)

I'm going to wear the Trans AM one to my book signings of Generation NeXt Parenting.

I guess this means Solomon was right again. "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." Ecc. 1:9

Someone once said, “True creativeness is finding new possibilities in old situations.” Remembering this can help us on our parenting journey.

1. Get real. Think about a situation in your family that's quickly 'getting old.' Is it the household chores that never your kids always "forget" to do? Is it a bad habit? Or maybe a personal struggle? (For you or for them.)

2. Get creative. What's a "new way" of thinking of this situation? More importantly, pray and ask God to help you come up with a "new way" of dealing with this situation.

3. Get accountability. The best way to make transformation stick is to journal about it. I've been doing this lately and it really works. I take time to be honest with God about these things I want to change in my life and my kids' lives. I also write my prayers of confession and supplication to God. And you know what, it works!

Try it, and let me know how it works for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle