Saturday, August 12, 2006

Read this: Casual Is Working Full Time

Here is an interesting article, on how Gen Xers are changing the workplace. Who would have thought that our desire for balancing family and works even transforms how they dress for work?

Enjoy!

Casual Is Working Full Time
Corporate suits take a leave of absence as dress codes become more relaxed. But the trend has created a backlash. `Tie Tuesday,' anyone?

By Molly Selvin
Times Staff Writer
Published August 11, 2006


On those rare occasions when insurance executive Tara Guizot wears a suit to her Century City office, "people invariably ask me if I'm interviewing for a new job," she said.

The trend toward casual dress has gone so far that Matt Smith, a 27-year-old Century City lawyer, is on a quest to establish "Tie Tuesday." He would like to wear a suit to work but knows he'd be ridiculed. Instead, Smith dons a tie every Tuesday and hopes other men in his office will follow. So far a couple have.

"It's just something fun," he said.

You can read the rest of the article here:

So what do you think? As a Gen Xer do you feel it's important to "dress for success?"

2 Comments:

At Saturday, 12 August, 2006, Blogger Sally Datria said...

I think there is casual and then there is too casual. I work with children all day long, so I could totally get away with the way too casual look if I wanted to but I think you can be nicely dressed, modest, and comfortable at the same time. I do wear flip-flops though, but they are dressy leather ones and I prefer the term "sandal"....LOL!!!

 
At Monday, 14 August, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Since I work at home, my typical "work clothes" are jeans and a t-shirt. Of course, when I'm out about in town I've learned to at least put a nice shirt on and some makeup. I've had clerks at the checkstand look at my checks and ask me, "Are you Tricia Goyer, the author?" As much as we don't like to admit it . . . how we look does make an impression.

Also, I also like to see people around town dress up too. For example, I personally think the people at my bank dress a little too casual--jeans an solid color t-shirts. It may be only me, but I want the people I'm turning my checks over to, to at least look professional.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle