Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Reach for the Stars!


Last night I talked with a group of teen moms, and I wish I'd had this quote that my sister sent to me this morning:

"When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either."
- Leo Burnett

I love that! It especially ties in to what I talked about with these young women: goal setting.

When I asked these moms about their goals, they had quite a few: to get a GED, to go to college, to ge a good mom.

We talked about local schooling options, yet we also talked about the daily ends and out of parenting. These young women have some of the same struggles we all do--losing their patience, yelling, and get plain wore out.

I shared a few things that helps me. Maybe they'll help you to:

1. Set goals for parenting. For me this changed at different times. When I was a young mom this meant cutting out cussing and yelling. It meant not flicking my kids on the shoulder when I was frustrated (something that had been done to me). Now, it's setting aside time to talk about friends, boys/girls, and life. It means thinking of life after graduation (yikes!)

I talk to God about my goals, and I ask for His strength. Then I THINK through GOOD responses or a good plan of action. The more I think about it, the more my goals become my actions.

2. Seek accountability. I hate having to fess up with someone else that I've messed up. When I share a struggle with a friend, then I know she will ask about it, so I do better. It also works with my kids. They are quick to tell me when I'm not following through on my goals!

3. Go to God. God forgives me when I mess up. God gives me wisdom to know the right thing to do. God gives me strength to follow through.

I go to God often because I often need HELP! I'm thankful there is not quota for approaching Him. God's there 24/7. Yes, even when it seems like parenting is just too tough, too overwhelming, too much work. He's there.

Now, doesn't this quote fit perfectly?

"When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either."
- Leo Burnett

So remember, reach for the stars . . . and the heavens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle