Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Babies, Tattoos and Bethlehem

Lask week John and I took dinner to a couple from our small group named Casey and Allyson. You see, this awesome couple welcomed little, adorable Elaina Grace into their family last week. I had to smile at the first email I received from Allyson after Elaina's birth. After 12-hours in labor, followed by a c-section, Allyson was giddy. "Casey and I are in love. She is a miracle. She is perfect."

Because I have a nasty head cold I didn't want to hold Elaina, but I watched as Allyson cuddled her daughter, stroking her cheek, her face, her hair. These thoughts were still on my mind as I read Isaiah 49:15-16 one morning last week, "[And the Lord answered] Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yes, they may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have indelibly imprinted (tattooed a picture of) you on my hands."

Seeing Allyson with Elaina ... well, I couldn't imagine her turning her back of her baby and not having compassion on her girl. That makes me marvel even more to consider God's love for me ... and you. Here's something else I read this morning, it's a quote from Max Lucado's book A Gentle Thunder.

"If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it. If he had a wallet, your photo would be in it. He sends you flowers every spring and a sunrise every morning. Whenever you want to talk, he'll listen. He can live anywhere in the universe, and he chose your heart. And the Christmas gift he sent you in Bethlehem? Face it, friend. He's crazy about you."

God is crazy about you. God loves you. In fact, after Christmas if someone asks you what the best gift you received was, you can answer. "It's a gift via Bethlehem, something I couldn't live without. Not only that, my true love tattooed me on His hands ... He's crazy about me!"

I wonder what type of response you'll get from that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle