Monday, February 04, 2008

Body Drama

I never expected to be considered an expert on teen pregnancy, but as someone who was a teen mom, mentors teen moms, and wrote a book for them ... guess what?! This week I had a fun opportunity to be interviewed by a writer for Cosmogirl. You can check out the lady who interviewed me at: www.NancyRedd.com

So, it was a great conversation, and I'm eager to see what's going to make it into the article. Nancy was Miss Virginia 2003 and she ran for the '04 Miss America title. Anyway, the same day as the interview I was kicked back on my couch flipping through the Feb. 4 edition of People Magazine (yes, that is one of my weaknesses). Anyway, I got to page 85, and I sat up straight. THERE was Nancy Redd ... and a story about her book Body Drama.

After talking to Nancy I ordered a copy of the book. It came yesterday, and I started flipping through the pages. First, I have to admit I was surprised by all the photos of body parts. Real, live, fleshy girl parts. Then, I thought about how useful it would have been to have a book like that when I was a teen. It shows what's normal, what's not, and what you should do about it. (Note: I recommend this book for mature teens and adults only ... not something you want your younger kids to stumble upon!)

Now, some people might not like that naked parts are in the book, but I'm letting my teen girl read it. In a culture that is made up of airbrushed models, I think this book will help girls, including my daughter, deal with their body issues. Gee, I might just learn something, too!


Stop Lurking! Every week I will draw names for a free Tricia Goyer book from those who comment on my blogs. Winner's choice! Tell your friends.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Monday, 04 February, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tricia! Just found your new blog.

I'm about to buy this book for my daughter, or at least to look over and see if I want her to have it yet - LOL!

 
At Tuesday, 05 February, 2008, Blogger Katherine@Raising Five said...

Hi Tricia,

My 14 yr old daughter and I were just flipping through Cosmo girl yesterday at the orthodontist's office. Yeehaw, that magazine could use some Christian perspective! What an awesome opportunity for you to share with girls who might really need to hear it straight from you.

 
At Tuesday, 05 February, 2008, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Angela,

I'm glad you found me. It's great seeing you!

Katherine,

I'm excited about this connect. Yeah!!!

 
At Sunday, 10 February, 2008, Blogger windycindy said...

Sometimes, it takes getting to the nitty gritty for young teen girls and boys! That ways, they may truly understand and act on their understanding! Cindi
jchoppes[t]hotmail[dot]com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle