Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Making Room For Daddy

Okay ladies, this one is for you. As Gen Xers we've grown up to believe we can have and do it all. We learned if we just try hard enough or want it bad enough we can accomplish anything. As young girls we were told to be assertive and independent, to show our power. And the young men? well they were trained to let us.

For example, when I had my son, I discovered that I had a much easier time letting my husband be my husband, than letting him be my son's dad. As the mother, I spent the most time with our son and pretty much figured I knew what was best for him. I wanted things done my way and I wasn't afraid to tell my husband which way that was!

Even though "mom in charge" seems natural, I've learned by experience that the control we think we want is actually a conflict of interest. When it came to raising our three kids, I thought I knew best. But after a while, I resented my husband for not taking more of a stand and leaving all the work to me.

Have you ever felt that way?

I can't tell you the number of times I prayed for my husband to be the spiritual leader of our home and interact with the kids more. Then one day as I prayed, I felt God saying, "Well then step back. Stop trying to run the show." And you know what? As I stepped back, my husband stepped up to the plate and I've been thankful ever since.

Dads may do things differently than moms would, but different is okay. No, wait-different is exactly how God designed it!

© Tricia Goyer

Stop Lurking! Every week I will draw names for a free Tricia Goyer book from those who comment on my blogs. Winner's choice! Tell your friends.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, 09 July, 2008, Blogger windycindy said...

We have two sons and I am not controlling person. My husband does well with our sons. When they were very young, I did most of the work, but he has always been there with me. Thanks, Cindi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle