Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Needing Something More


Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn't worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. The result was that their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they became utter fools instead. And instead of worshipping the glorious ever-living God, they worshipped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever.
Romans 1:21-23, 25 (NLT)


Every year billions of dollars are spent by advertisers to make us believe that what we have and who we are aren't enough. That we need something "better"-looks, food, toys, fun. You name it.

I'm as guilty as the rest when it comes to getting caught up in what the world offers. I'm quick to whip out my VISA card and slow to distinguish my needs from my wants.

And it's not only "things" that draw me-just the other day I took my daughter to get her hair cut and found myself eagerly flipping through the pages of People magazine-catching up on who's dating whom and who's wearing what, and lapping up those voyeuristic photos of glamorous stars caught in their sweatpants and ball caps while shopping at the grocery store.

When I take the time to think about it, I realize how silly this tug is. The people we idolize are simply people, after all. The 'stuff' we desire is nothing more than man's attempt to create something beautiful and worthwhile. The successes we strive after are limited in scope and nature.

So why do we get caught up in worshipping the world's idols? And more important how can we keep our kids from falling into the same trap? First, we must to realize that we are being deceived by the world's definition of "need". I think by continually focusing on our living God we can train ourselves and our kids to not live apart from the world, but to serve Him in it. We can train ourselves to distinguish between reality and lies.

You can help your child find freedom from the world's idols when you teach them the following truths:

1. Not every thought that comes to our mind is from us. (Job 1:6-28)

2. Work to equalize the pressure inside our kids' souls. (2 Timothy 3:13-16)

3. Realize God's desire is not that we live apart from the world, but to serve Him in it. (Romans 14:17-18)

4. Study the things the world attempts to glorify and compare those things to God. (Romans 1:21-23, 25)

5. Remind your children who will be around to satisfy us in the long run. (Psalm 77:11-12)


© Tricia Goyer

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, 15 July, 2008, Blogger windycindy said...

I have been told that there will always be those who are better at something that I do and others that are worse! I need to be the best me that I can. Thanks, Cindi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle