Friday, September 05, 2008

Sarah Palin is a Gen Xer


In case you didn't realize it ... Sarah Palin is a Gen Xer. I bet if we could sit down with her we could rehash 80s trivia. We could talk about the first time we saw Michael Jackson's Thriller video. Where we were in Challenger blew up. What Madonna fashion accessory was our fav. (For me it was the permed hair and lacy gloves.)

As I listen to Sarah Palin talk, and I can HEAR her Gen X-ness. And, the amazing thing is that the world is going crazy about it. They love that she's real. That she's a soccer mom. And realizing this I feel our generation is finally getting a pat on the back.

Listening to Palin's speeches and hearing more about her, I see glimpses of what I wrote in my book Gen X Parenting (Multnomah 2006):

"If your were born between 1961 and 1981, maybe you can relate. We're called Generation X, and to me the X stands for:

eX-cellent people, eX-celling to our potential, and eX-hausted most of the time!

We want to do it all, be it all, and parent as well as possible. And according to the experts who study society, the two words that describe our beliefs are authentic and relationships. We don't want anyone to put on a show for us. We want the real deal. And, of our, what matters most to us is people."

Palin is building a relationship with the PEOPLE of this country. You can hear it in her passion and her speeches. To quote Palin, "I’m not going to Washington to seek their good opinion. I’m going to Washington to serve the people of this great country.”

Can you see it? Authentic relationships OOZE from that one phrase.

As you also know, there is a HUGE Mommy Wars thing going on in the media. And I have an opinion of my own.

As a stay-at-home mom, homeschooling mom, and author of 15 books (all published since 2003) I think my hard work has taught my kids they can dream, I'm a living example to my children that God has called us all to do great things, and if we seek Him and work according to His lead, God can bring our dreams to reality. My kids are smart and motivated. They have big plans for their future. Sure, I travel and there are times I need to go away to work, but we have great family times, too. I think Palin's work as VP (if it happens) is going to be a great example for her children to follow.

Also, as a former teen mom (I had Cory at age 17), I think Palin will a great role model for her daughter. Life doesn't have to end with teen pregnancy. I'm an example of that! Yes, Bristol Palin may have made mistakes, but haven't we all? I believe if she turns to God during this time He can use her mightily. Don't you agree?

If you are interested in reading more about Gen Xers in marriage go to:
http://www.triciagoyer.com/cmsdocuments/Ch__1_GNM_first_chap.pdf

And Gen Xers as parents:
http://www.triciagoyer.com/cmsdocuments/GenNextParentingSC.pdf

1 Comments:

At Saturday, 06 September, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. A conservative woman role model is what our girls need.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle