Monday, October 20, 2008

Tackling the Media Monster




Philippians 4:8 (NLT)
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.

Hopefully most of us have outgrown the hopeless and incorrigible attitudes we modeled (or rather, thought were the height of coolness) in our teen years. Still, we remember the impact television had on us, and we want to make wise choices concerning our kids.

I have a love/hate relationship with my television set. On one hand, I wish we didn't have one (okay, actually four) in our house. If we didn't, we would undoubtedly spend more time talking, interacting, playing board games, and reading books. On the other hand, there are shows I can't imagine missing. My family has fun together sitting around the tube enthralled by the latest episode of our favorite show. And as a writer, I love taking notes of the characters, dialogue, and plot twists that work-that keep us wanting "just one more episode".

Some of you have quit television cold turkey, and I applaud that. I too want to protect my kids from the media's influence:

*Interacting with media provides the same experience as if you acted out those things ourselves.
*Values portrayed by the media are often ones we don't promote.
*Tuning into the media diverts kids' attention from God.
*Instead of helping us appreciate who we are and what we have, media causes discontentment.

But I don't think it's possible, or wise, to shun television culture completely. My kids will be bombarded by the media messages their entire life. Isn't it better to teach them how to make wise decisions concerning their choices of entertainment? Won't it benefit my children to train them to view television, radio and movies in light of God's truth? Ask God what He is saying about your media choices.

(photo courtesy of flickr)

3 Comments:

At Monday, 20 October, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really interesting things. I am a teen and I know that the TV not only takes up time, it takes time away from my family. My mom is always watching TV, and does that more than talk to me or my brother. I personally will reduce TV time in my future house.

 
At Tuesday, 21 October, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our television is barely on. The girls grumble because I set guidelines and only after rooms clean. I know we have some neat board games that are collecting dust-I should change the reward-family game night.
Thanks for the heads up.

 
At Tuesday, 21 October, 2008, Blogger Melody said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. On the one hand, I like to shelter myself and the family from some stuff. On the other hand, it's tough to minister to a world you've cut yourself out of.

In our house, tv is watched TOGETHER so that influences can be addressed and steered in a more Christ-Centered direction. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle