Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tis’ the Season to be Content


As we come into the holiday season this year, I'm getting a head start.

I have to admit the bling and sparkle of Christmas-buying-mania drives me crazy. I snarl at commercials promoting new toys. I gulp at long wish lists and enormous price tags. But what bothers me most is the discontentment “needing that thing” brings. And I’m not the only parent who struggles.

“My dad rarely paid child support, and my mom had a hard time working with five children. We never ate out, never drank soda. We had hand-me-down clothes, cheap shoes, and no name brand anything. Though I struggle to make ends meet at times, I find myself wanting to give my kids what I never had,” confessed my friend Michelle from Ohio. “Still, I try to instill the value of a dollar in them and teach them to be content.”

The good news is that, like Michelle, we can train our children to be content in a world that promotes having an endless amount of stuff. Over the next week or so I'll be sharing a few tips to do just that:


Distinguish Between a Want and Need

Teach Kids To Be Happy For Others

Model Contentment

Memorize a “Contentment” Scripture

Give Your Kids a “World View” of Riches

Foster a Giving Heart

Teach Delayed Gratification and Appreciation

Read Stories about People Who Discovered True Riches

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle