Thursday, August 17, 2006

Dream Home

What does "Dream Home" mean to Gen Xers? One recent article, discussed that very thing . . . check it out:

Dream homes for every age group
For Gen X'ers, it's all about amenities
Jamila RobinsonSt. Louis Post-Dispatch Aug. 5, 2006 12:00 AM

What makes a dream home? A South Beach villa? Stick-style Victorian? The one Barbie had? Images of fantasy mansions may come to mind, but for 25- to 40-year-olds, the amenities that a house offers can make it a dream home.

A recent study conducted by GFK Roper, a global research organization, found that for post-boomer generations, the ideal home is a reflection of values and aspirations.

For Generation X, the group of people born between 1965 and 1977, and their younger counterparts born after 1978 - often called Generation Y or echo boomers - a dream house isn't always extra acreage or a cul-de-sac. To this group - more than 81 million Americans - a dream house is one that provides comfort, security, style and technology.

Read the rest of the article here.

Did you catch that quote? "Gen X-ers are at childbearing age. That means that Gen-X homes are about the family center. They are looking for things that help them organize and eradicate clutter and chaos."

I love how EVERYONE is talking about the "family center" that Gen Xers value so much! And when I started looking around my home, I have to agree:

Dining room . . . large enough for our family plus a few guest to have dinner TOGETHER every night.

Office . . . that has a custom desk my husband built. It wraps around three walls, so my kids and I can work side-by-side.

Living room . . . large enough to seat a dozen comfortably. Because if each of my kids have a friend over, we're almost up to a dozen!

Porch swing . . . so we can interact with kids while they play outside.

What about you? What does your dream home include? How does this relate your values?

5 Comments:

At Thursday, 17 August, 2006, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass said...

Yep, very large living room. Big dining room with big table. Breastfeeding, co-sleeping and homeschooling. (well, the nursing is done, but Zane still finds his way to bed with us in the middle of the night.)

With all that, though, the house is still painfully empty. It's just Phil, Zane and I. My parents don't visit often. His have never been here and recently stopped speaking to us. I invite church friends over and they are too busy. I invite my parents and they just never get around to it. I ask my brother to stop by and he doesn't.

I wonder if we're the only ones like this?

 
At Thursday, 17 August, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Try to get together with friends IS crazy. Everyone is just so busy. But now that my kids are older they always have friends over. Also, through Teen MOPS I started mentoring a young mom, and then her and her husband started coming over. They're here every Sunday after church, until 10 p.m. We also have a single guy who comes over often . . . I think he likes the homecooked meals! I know there are a lot of people who are lonely. I'm sure if you pray, God will show you just who to invite over. Blessings! Tricia

 
At Thursday, 17 August, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

P.S. My mom cried when we left CA, but she'd been to my house, like 10 times. So . . . it's not just you!

 
At Saturday, 19 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dream hom would be a villa or a victorian style home. It would have a 5 bedrooms, two bathrooms and the kitchen and living room would be in such a way that one could entertain and cook at the same time...one big social gathering.

Michelle,
You aren't the only one. Seems everyone is just TOO BUSY for friends these days. They are juggling their kids extracurricular activities, church functions, work functions, and of course working and that leaves little time for friends.

My husband says I have an old soul. I long for the days when women would get together and knit or crochet or hand sew quilts and just talk while the kids hung out together. I also long for the days when families would get together for Sunday barbecues.

I invite, but people never have the time. I usually end up stop inviting and just concentrate on the kids and hubby. But eventually that yearning returns and I try inviting again.

My mil has been great since we've moved to SD. She's very active and drags me along with her and her friends. They're in their 70s but I don't care. They are FUN!

 
At Saturday, 19 August, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

My 76-year-old grandmother lives with us. Friday her and I did errands, went to lunch, and hit the mall. It was a blast!

Yes, older people have time to ENJOY life . . . something I'm working at!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle