Friday, August 18, 2006

Guest Blogger...Cara Putman

Does anybody else struggle with discipline? I need to write 2000 words a night five days a week to be ready for a conference I'm going to in two months. So what am I doing now that my daughter and I are home from Vacation Bible School. Writing? (Well, yes, at the moment I am). Cleaning? Cuddling my kids? No, as the temporary queen of procrastination I deleted email. Mind you this email has sat in my in-box for months. Doesn't that sound like something that has to be done right this moment?
I often accept duties to the point I become paralyzed about the things that must be done. I'm the first to admit I work very well under pressure, but if I tighten my self-imposed deadline anymore, I won't sleep for a month!
Going back to the definition of discipline in Webster's: a) training that develops self-control, character or orderliness and efficiency b) strict control to enforce obedience. I could use some strict control in my life. The kind of control that says "no" when I'm asked to take on a new duty or service. The kind of control that says "I don't want my family to live on the edge of chaos." The kind of control that admits that even though I know I could do something and do it very well, if I don't do it someone else will step forward. If I could even cut a couple items from my to-do list, from the weight of responsibility, it would free brain power to focus on the things I know I need to. Like writing a book in the next two months. Yikes! Join me in praying for an extra dose of discipline. (And adding a plea for the sun to stand still like it did for Joshua in the Old Testament wouldn't be a bad thing either.)
And maybe when I can exercise control and discipline over my life, it will trickle through to the rest of my family. A gal can hope!

You can read Cara's blog at: http://carasmusings.blogspot.com/

3 Comments:

At Friday, 18 August, 2006, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass said...

Discipline has been an issue of mine for years. I prayed and God responded.

Ok, it hasn't been pretty. But He's not finished yet. I'm in the...uhm...rough draft stage. ;)

 
At Friday, 18 August, 2006, Blogger Gina Conroy said...

You sound like me! I've just got to do it all, but when I do it all, sometimes everyone loses.

When I "quit" writing, it really helped me see the areas in my life that I needed discipline in.

Maybe it's time to think about giving something up to regain the discipline you desire and reprioritize your time so that everyone wins. It really helped for me and it's not nearly as painful as living in daily chaos!

 
At Friday, 18 August, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

I don't understand people who want to do it all . . . okay, get off the floor. You can stop laughing now.

The-queen-of-everything-half-done

(Oh, that sounds like a good book title, maybe I'll start it . . .)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle