Friday, September 15, 2006

The God of (and in) all things . . .

This morning I was going through my old notes and I came across this quote by Henry Blackaby.

"The constant presence of God is the most practical part of your life and ministry. Unfortunately we often assign God to a limited place in our lives. Then we call on Him whenever we need help. That is the exact opposite of what we find in the Word of God. He is the one who is working in our world. He invites you to related to Him, so He can accomplish His work through you," Henry Blackaby, Experiencing God, p. 55

Can God be the God of spaghetti sauce? There is much happening in my day that can be labeled “practical” rather than “spiritual.” There's the cleaning, shopping, walking the dog, making spaghetti sauce etc. But should those things be more spiritual? Can they? Can God meet me in the kitchen as easily as he meets me on my couch during my morning quiet time?

My grandmother seems to think so. She prays and seeks God’s guidance about everything. In fact, she’s so in tune with God that He speaks to her throughout the day about every that concerns her, even what to cook for dinner.

I used to think that she was a little “out there,” until God started doing it for me too. For example, once He remind me of the frozen turkey in the freezer. I got a wild hair and cooked it up. Later, I had the opportunity to invite friends over for an impromptu meal. A coincidence?

One main thing that I’ve gotten out of Experiencing God (I think I've gone through the workbook on my own 4-5 times) is the fact that God is at work in this world. He’s moving, He’s shaking, He’s doing His thing. But it’s up to me to seek Him and join Him. That seeking takes being humble. It takes listening. It takes obedience to that gentle stirring even if it’s inconvenient.

Of course, right now one of the biggest areas of my life in which I seem to depend on God’s guidance is balancing writing and motherhood. What do I need to work on, for whom, when? Am I giving my children enough of my time, my energy, my focus?

What does it mean when editors contact me out of the blue? Is that God’s work, asking me to join him? Should I be saying “no” more?

Am I listening to God's voice when it comes to my children? When I feel His prodding to put down "one more thing" and just spend time with them?

Is God maybe getting me to the place where I can only succeed with his constant presence? Yes, I'd like to think so. I need His guidace daily, hourly.

And you know what? I think that's exactly where I'm supposed to be.

***********

For daily updates on my newest novel, check out www.triciagoyer.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle