Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Guest Blogger...Cara Putman

Christmas Memories

This weekend we dug the Christmas trees out of the attic. Even though it’s hard to think Christmas when it’s sixty degrees outside. Not the typical end of November temperature in Indiana.

As we dug through the ornaments and decorations, I started thinking about how we will incorporate Christ in Christmas this year. Abigail is six and Jonathan is three, so both are old enough to understand this year. Here are my initial thoughts, but I am eager to read your comments on how you incorporate Christ in your Christmas.

First, we’re going to use Family Life Today’s Adornaments for our family devotions. The Adornaments are a set of ornaments that focus on various names of Christ:
He is Emmanuel (Matthew 1:23).
He is the Door (John 10:9).
He is the True Vine (John 15:5).
He is Living Water (John 4:10).
He is the Light of the World (John 8:12).
He is the Bright and Morning Star (Revelation 22:16).
He is the Lion of the tribe of Judah (Revelation 5:5).
He is the Lamb of God (John 1:29).
He is the Good Shepherd (John 10:11).
He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords (1 Timothy 6:15).
He is the Bread of Life (John 6:35).
He is our Savior (Titus 3:4-7).

Wouldn’t it be great to be able to use this season to help our kids understand that Jesus is so much more than a baby in a manger? We’re going to try.

Second, I plan to take the kids shopping for kids that are less fortunate. If your church has an Angel Tree in its foyer, then the task is made pretty easy. Pick an angel, and you’ll know exactly what a less fortunate child longs to receive at Christmas. Or check with another social service agency or non-profit. I plan to touch base with our local Salvation Army.

Third, and tied to the second, I hope to have the kids go through their toys and select a few nice ones to give to a shelter. We have so much, and with a fresh influx of gifts on the way, I hope this will help keep the “give-me’s” at bay.

Fourth, we will take plates of cookies to neighbors. My daughter is my partner in baking the cookies and delivering them. Last year she loved ringing doorbells and saying “Merry Christmas.” It isn’t much, but it is a great way to start or continue relationships with neighbors. And it’s another way to keep the focus on serving and giving to others.

Kim Wier and Pat McCune have a practical, idea-filled book if you’re looking for other ideas: Redeeming the Season. Another resource I enjoy because of all its great ideas is Lisa Welchel’s The ADVENTure of Christmas. The artwork in that book is wonderful.

So how will you put Christ in your families Christmas?

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, 29 November, 2006, Blogger Gina Conroy said...

The boys have a small tree we put in the hall way next to their room where we hang the adornments. I have lots of other ways we put Christ in Christmas, but I'll save that for a post on my blog! :)

 
At Thursday, 30 November, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

I love all your ideas. You're awesome, Cara!

 
At Tuesday, 05 December, 2006, Blogger Cara Putman said...

Thanks, guys. I love Christmas. And hope me kids catch the vision for what Christmas is really all about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle