Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Guest Blogger...Cara Putnam


We Can't Go It Alone!

I’m less than two weeks from the Indianapolis mini-marathon. I’m pretty excited overall, but I have to admit that there are times when I’m running eight or nine miles and I wonder why on earth I thought this was a good idea.

Last week I was visiting family, but had to keep those miles going. It’s amazing how motivating a deadline can be. I needed to get in a long fun – nine miles – so I went to the local park where I knew the loop was one mile. It’s a nice park. There are even lots of animals that you can look at – almost a mini zoo. The sun felt good, a stiff breeze was blowing. All in all not a bad day for a run.

But after five miles, I started trying to talk myself out of it. I don’t really need to run nine miles. Six should be plenty. How much can it hurt me on race day. All I care about is finishing not a set time.

I’d almost talked myself out of running.

Then I heard a jingle, jangle behind me. I stiffened, unsure what or who was coming up behind me.

“Thought I’d run a mile or two with you.”

I looked over my shoulder to see my dad. That next mile and a quarter until he got called away flew. We talked and it really didn’t feel like work. And the steps before he joined me plodded.

When he had to leave, I only had two miles to go. I can talk myself through that.

It was a great reminder. When we get worn down by life’s tedium or trials, bring someone alongside you. The journey feels so much shorter and more doable when you’re traveling with a companion.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle