Thursday, April 05, 2007

Guest Blogger...Gina Conroy

Is it In Your Nature to Nurture?

I was a bit surprised by this article about a mom who openly admits she's bored with her children. After reading the article it's obvious to me how this mom lacks a nurture gene and is solely focused on herself and her needs and desires. If you don't believe me, go read it for yourself.

This got me thinking. Most times I feel I lack the nurture gene, and yes, I admit I feel like this woman at times. Bored of playing with toys and dolls, aggravated by the never ending kiddie board game, and frustrated by driving my kids all over town.

I'm not one of those moms who love to play with her children for the simple fact that I'm a type A personality, a Choleric/Melancholy who sees so much to do around the house, that playing a game often feels like wasting time. But it's not! It's all about molding the little minds and hearts God has given me and training them up in the way they should go. How can I possibly do that if I don't spend time with them in their world?

This article was convicting for me. It made me want to spend more time playing with my kids and less time doing "stuff". And I'm going to try and play with my children more, not just sit and watch them. I'm going to pull out the board games and get down on my hands and knees. I'm going to sit and color or play Star Wars, if they want me to because this life isn't about what I can get out of it, it's what God wants to me give to others, starting with my children.

Gina Conroy is founder of Writer...Interrupted and a homeschooling mom to four. She writes about her experiences trying to balance it all at Portrait of a Writer...Interrupted.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle