Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Seven Things I Learned at Summer Camp



Last week I was blessed to attend summer camp. Actually, my whole family attended to serve in a drama ministry. I also had the joy of watching three boys, ages 3, 4, and 6 while their parents helped in the kitchen. Yes, boys are active but some of my best times were playing with them in the sand at the lake with the sun smiling down on us.

Still, I came away from camp with more than a sun tan. I also learned some great things about my (our) walk with God!

  1. Everyone needs a time to escape with God. Isaiah 49:10-11 says, “For the Lord in his mercy will lead them beside cool waters. And I will make my mountains into level paths for them.” As you will see from the photos, there were both beautiful mountains and cool waters at camp. It was a time of refreshing. A time to be reminded of God’s creative powers and “rest” in Him.
  2. There is a whole generation of young men and women who are in need of hearing about God’s miracles in OUR lives. Psalm 71:18 says, “Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me.” I was able to participate in some small groups and share ways God has transformed my life. The generations coming behind us need to know more than just “about God.” They need to know how He works in the lives of men and women! I pray that the personal testimonies from the counselors will nourish their faith. (In addition to the small groups, I also took my one and only copy of My Life, Unscripted … and one of the teen girls borrow it to read it. I still haven’t gotten it back yet. I think it’s being passed around!)
  3. We all need direction for our day … and discipline. As you can imagine, we couldn’t let 70 kids run wild and do their own thing. We set clear boundaries and planned their day. And when they got out of line we did correct them, but we did so gently. “I know, Lord, that a person’s life is not his own. No one is able to plan his own course. So correct me, Lord, but please be gentle.” Jeremiah 10:23-24
  4. We all need to take time in our day to fill our stomachs and our souls with the good things of God. And you can be sure EVERYONE comes running when they hear the dinner bell! “The eyes of all wait for You [looking, watching, and expecting] and You give them their food in due season. Psalm 145:15 (Amplified Bible)
  5. At camp one’s eyes are open to see spiritual needs and their mouths are quick to speak truth to those with softened hearts. If only we were so in tune with God’s work in the lives around us all the time! “At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.” Matthew 10:19 NLT
  6. Today can be the day of salvation. And for two dozen kids at the camp, it was! It is a wonderful thing to know that these children accepted the greatest gift ever … Christ. “I am overwhelmed with joy in the Lord my God! For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness. Isaiah 61:10
  7. There is joy and excitement in praising God. If we were face-to-face I’d show you hand motions to some of the songs I learned! “My mouth’s full of great praise for God. I’m singing his hallelujah’s surrounded by crowds.” Psalm 109:30

Yes, everything I know about God I was reminded about at summer camp!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle