Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Blue Like Tidy-Bowl Cleaner, Kool-Aid, and Heaven:

Thoughts on Home, Family, and God from the middle of Suburbia!

One of the fun things about having kids is getting to act like a kid again. People actually consider you a good parent if you get down on the floor and play with your kids.

My personal favorites are board games. Actually, that isn’t the truth. There is one other thing I like more. Play-dough. I love to squish it, shape it, and sniff it.

When my kids were small I made homemade play-dough. I didn’t like it that much because it was plain grayish, white and smelled of salty bread. That’s until I learned a secret ingredient—kool-aid. Just one small packet of kool-aid in homemade dough made it smell great and look pretty, too.

Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about Jeremiah 18:4, “But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.”

Like everyone, there are things in my life that I’ve felt God molding, and while it sounds like a beautiful concept, it hurts like heck.

One day, when I was yet again going before God concerning a certain sin-struggle that I couldn’t seem to overcome, I imagined myself clay in a potter’s hands. Okay, I actually imagined bright blue play-dough, but the idea is the same. Molding takes pressure. It takes squishing and shaping. But as I watched in my mind’s eye, I realized that God wasn’t just reforming me just for fun. Instead he had a model for me to follow. He was actually forming me into the shape of Christ. (Galatians 4:19 talks about this very thing.)

Remembering this, helps me somehow. As an amateur, when I sit down with my kids and their play-dough, I’m lucky if I can form a realistic worm. But God forms me with a model in mind. The more I allow Him to shape me, the more I’m like Christ. Now that’s worth all the squishing and shaping, if I say so myself.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, 23 April, 2008, Blogger windycindy said...

Good Day! I am glad that God takes cracked pots like me. Pottery is something I really like. Maybe, it is because each piece is so unique, just like people. Thanks for the inspiration.....Cindi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle