Friday, April 21, 2006

Blank Stares...

I can’t tell you the number of blank stares that I receive when people ask about my writing and I tell them about my book for Gen X Parents. Gen X? Huh? Even some Gen Xers I’ve talked to don’t realize that’s what they are. And for good reason. According to Kathy Fredrickson’s column Generation X overlooked by marketers:

Gen Xers are easily overlooked because of sheer numbers. “There are about 44.9 million Gen Xers, compared with 77.4 million baby boomers and 70.7 million Gen Yers,” Fredrickson writes. “Gen X should be called the sandwich generation, outnumbered four to one by those younger and older.”

Fredrickson’s column is written for those who want to market to Gen Xers, and this is what she notes about our generation:

“For those who want to connect with Gen X in an honest manner, creating a message around their values is a good place to start. Here are a few examples:

“Time is money: To a boomer, money means power. The more you work, the more you make. For Gen X, time is money. The more time you have to spend with friends and family, the richer you feel.

“A career is a journey: Many of the jobs to be had for Gen X college graduates in the late 1980s and early 1990s were in small business. The entrepreneurial spirit is alive in Gen Xers who have taken control of their own destiny by defining success on their own terms. Marketers should highlight and honor the creative decisions Gen Xers have made with regard to their careers.

“Low-budget luxe: A Gen Xer purchases a leather couch on close-out and is proud to tell everyone who stops by their home. A boomer finds more satisfaction in knowing they can afford a luxury item like a leather couch. One generation is focused on getting a great deal, the other values the prestige associated with having money to spend.”

Tricia here:
I had to laugh at this last one! I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve received a compliment on a sweater or pair of shoes only to tell the person how I snagged it off the 90% off rack. Gee, come to speak of it, I got my leather couch on sale too . . .

Yup, this marketer has it right. To me a good value is saving money of things and spending time of friends and family. In fact, that is one reason I love writing this blog . . . I feel rich interacting with my fellow Gen Xers. I love reading your comments and hearing what’s on your heart.

(Oh, yeah, and blogging is free. What a double deal!)

4 Comments:

At Friday, 21 April, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

My husband says that men will pay double for something they need, and women pay half for something they don't need.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

Tricia (who is gearing up for my son's 12th birthday party--which means about a dozen families in our home tonight. Fun!)

 
At Friday, 21 April, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you're going to have fun tonight, Tricia.

I wonder if this Gen X sale mentality is why some stores like Kohl's constantly are having sales. I never pay full price for anything there. Even if it's something I really want, I know it will eventually go on sale and I'll just get it then.

 
At Tuesday, 25 April, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

If I see a t-shirt at a store for $9.99, I'll bypass it. But if it's on a clearance rack, marked down from $24.99, I'll buy two. Wierd, I know!

 
At Tuesday, 02 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The saving money attitude must be contagious too. My daughter (12) and some of her friends are happy to brag about how little they paid for things, leaving the kid who paid $60 for a shirt that they paid $10 for in the minority.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle