Friday, April 14, 2006

Just Do It

In his book Experiencing God, Henry Blackaby writes: “You need to know what God has on His agenda for your church, community, and nation at this time in history. Then you and your church can adjust your lives to God, so that He can move you into the mainstream of his activity before it is too late.”

As much as I respect and adore the work of Mr. Blackaby (seriously, he’s my FAVORITE Bible teacher—tied with Beth Moore), I’d like to add something to his comment. We also need to know what God has on His agenda for our FAMILY at this time in history. We need to be tuned in to the fact that God has given us our kids, at this generational juncture, for a purpose. And it’s only when we adjust our lives to God that we are open to His activity.

This is the premise of my upcoming book Generation NeXt Parenting: God has placed us as parents in this time in history for His purpose. Is that mind boggling, or what?!

I don’t know about you, but I see “God-at-work” in families all around me. My husband John and I are blessed to be children’s ministry leaders in our local church. Every week, 80+ kids (4-9-year-olds) come and experience God-alive-and-active through our dramatic ministry, but what we do on Sundays does little good unless their parents are following through in making God real in their lives the other 167 hours in the week.

Thankfully, most of the parents I know are following through. They study the Bible with their children. They have praise cds playing in their cars. They pray for the needs in their home, their church, their world. They live lives that exhibit God’s work in their hearts.

If I didn’t travel so much, I’d think that was just happening here in my wonderful little spot of Montana, but that’s not the case. I’ve spotted the same type of families all over. At Disneyworld I saw them bowing their heads over their meal. At MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) conventions I’ve seen moms packed into workshops, soaking in tips and tricks for making a love for God the most important thing in their kids’ lives. On the streets in big cities and small towns I’ve seen teens proudly displaying their faith through catchy slogans on t-shirts, hats, and necklaces. (Of course, I see that with my teens too.)

God is at work in families! He’s placing His stamp on this generation!

Okay, by this time you can see I’m getting a little excited. And you should too. Do you want to become part of the family revival? Then taking Blackaby’s words to heart is a good start.

KNOW what God has on His agenda for your FAMILY at this time in history.
TUNE IN to the fact that God has given us our kids, at this time, for His purpose.
ADJUST your lives to God. Be open to His activity.

If John and I are working at this, and your family is working on it, and families in Kalamazoo, Albuquerque, and Buffalo are working on it, just image what awaits our kids and their future. I can’t wait to find out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle