Monday, April 24, 2006

Wild Thing (Tone Loc)

I had the opportunity recently to attend the Mt. Hermon Writer’s Conference in California. One of my fun friends I hung out with was fellow Gen X mom and writer Sarah Sumpolec. The funny thing about us being together is that we could relate to so much. Our constant need for approval. Our TONS of writing ideas. The books/speakers/music we like. Our core values—especially family values.

Ever since I started writing Generation NeXt Parenting, I’ve become fascinated with our generation and how we process life. And I love talking about “us” with others like us.

The crazy thing is that no one else seems to understand . . . or even cares to. When people ask about my book, I usually get two responses. 85% of them get a glazed look in their eyes and quickly change the topic. The other 15% are Gen Xers (or those who love us). They start asking questions and get excited about the book. Gen X parents can’t wait for it to hit the shelves, and the rest of the world is scratching it’s head, trying to remember what a GenX is.

A recent article in The Washington Post talked about interest in Gen Xers being non-existent.

The article is:
Wild Generalization X--In Details, a Hilarious Screed on Turning 40 and Not Loving It

Here’s a quote: (which is actually quoting another author, concerning another article about our nonexistence . . .)
"While the boomers and the millennials have been out gulping up all of that mass-media oxygen, somebody seems to have forgotten to put together the Newsweek cover story about Generation X on the brink of turning 40," Gordinier grumbles. "Could it be that the age group that popularized the phrase jumped the shark has done just that? . . . Is Generation X already obsolete?"

Oh, and here is another one:
Generation Xers nurse hurt feelings for media slights

Does this type of stuff interest you as much as it does me? If so:

1. Read the article and let me know your opinion.

2. Spread the word about Gen Xers and this blog. We are important. And our place in history should not be overlooked. We are training up the men and women of the future, for God, what can be more important or noteworthy than that?

3 Comments:

At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Blogger Jennifer Tiszai said...

You know, I thought it very interesting that there has been no mention of Gen X turning 40. I remember when that was a big deal for the Boomers. It seemed there was a lot more interest in Gen X when we were hitting college and a lot of predictions about what our "slacker" attitudes would produce. Now we simply seem to be sandwiched by two more media-friendly generations. I do think a lot of it has to do with sheer numbers. Ours are about half of the Boomers or the Millenials and frankly attention goes where the money is. Maybe we'll make up for quantity with quality. :)

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Blogger Jennifer Tiszai said...

You know, I thought it very interesting that there has been no mention of Gen X turning 40. I remember when that was a big deal for the Boomers. It seemed there was a lot more interest in Gen X when we were hitting college and a lot of predictions about what our "slacker" attitudes would produce. Now we simply seem to be sandwiched by two more media-friendly generations. I do think a lot of it has to do with sheer numbers. Ours are about half of the Boomers or the Millenials and frankly attention goes where the money is. Maybe we'll make up for quantity with quality. :)

 
At Tuesday, 25 April, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

I like that Jennifer . . . quality instead of quantity. Personally, I think Gen Xers are the best parents ever, and I think ten years from now our kids are going to prove this.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle