Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Eat It (Weird Al Yankovic)

I like things that work. In fact, nothing is as disappointing as seeing a cool advertisement, hunting down the product, taking it home and discovering that it’s “touting” is bigger than it’s “tackling.” I like things that make my life easier, not just another product that costs money, time, and space. Don’t you?

Okay, so I have to tell you about something I found to help me with dinner. (I don’t get paid to tell you about this. I just want to because finally, I found something that works for me!)

On FlyLady.net I heard about SavingDinnerSupport.com

The jist of it is, you sign up for weekly menu mailers. Then once a week you get a week’s worth of dinner menus AND a list of all the ingredients you’ll need for it. All you need to do is print up the shopping list and the menu and take it to the store with you. For example, this week’s menu includes things like Mamma’s Schnitzel and Teriyaki Broccoli Beef. Yum.

As someone who usually waits until 4:30 p.m. to figure out “what’s for dinner,” I’ve appreciated six things.

I actually KNOW what’s for dinner.

The recipes have been easy for follow and yummy. (Okay, I have to admit, my family didn’t appreciate the homemade clam chowder as much as I did.)

I get to try new things . . . instead of cooking the same things over and over. (Or you can chose not to try them, just crossing them off before going to the store.)

I save money by NOT buying things I’ll never use . . . or by going through drive through.

You can choose from your favorite menu: Low Carb, Frugal, Crock Cooker, Regular, Vegetarian, Body Clutter (Low-Cal), Southern Hemisphere . . . and more!

It’s not very expensive when you look at the big picture. (See #4 above.) In fact, the 12 month subscription is only 8 cents a day.

Okay, that’s my plug. It works for me! (Literally.)

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, 03 May, 2006, Blogger amyanne said...

I'm involved in a small women's bible study group that meets once a week. We each put together a 5 day menu planner (with desserts) and a shopping list. Now I have 7 weeks worth of dinners with shopping lists FOR FREE!! I highly recommend it! It's been so fun. The only guidelines is that it has to be fairly quick and easy and use mostly fresh ingrediants. We are picky.

 
At Wednesday, 03 May, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Hey, Amy. Maybe you should share
:-)

 
At Wednesday, 03 May, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, I love Weird Al!

I love anything that makes dinner easier. One thing I've found helpful is Cyndy Salzmann's The Occassional Cook where she has menus and shopping lists like you've talked about, but also a plan so you can cook 1, 2 or 3 weeks in advance and put stuff in the freezer.

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger amyanne said...

okay here's a recipe. you'll have to make your own shopping list. maybe you can have people who are interested sign up and we can do a recipe exchange via your blog/website?

Chicken Stuffed Buns
Wonderfully tasteful. Sourdough buns are hollowed out, stuffed with a mixture of chicken, three cheeses, garlic and spinach, and baked. Prep time: 30 min, bake time: 20 min, makes 6.


6 large sourdough buns
You can use Ciabatti rolls at Ceres or Costco
2 cups chicken breast
Roast chicken breasts in oven @ 375 for 20-30 min. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic, pepper, and salt. Let cool and shred with fork.
1 8oz. package of cream cheese
1/3 less fat kind works good.
1 cup shredded pepper jack or cheddar
Or mozzarella or…
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1½ teaspoon crushed garlic
5oz. fresh spinach

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice the top off each bun and hollow out insides. Combine all ingredients and spoon into each roll. Top each bun and wrap in foil.
Bake for 20-25 min.

Serve with marinara for dipping.

Bon Appetite!

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger BookCafe said...

I don't know if it was from the FLYLady's website or not, but somewhere I heard of this neat time-saving idea: for ONE MONTH, write down on your calender what you ate for dinner each night. Then, make up a sort of "schedule", and just rotate these weeks.

The only thing I *don't* like about this "plan" is that you're still eating the same thing over, and over, and over. I need NEW recipes! :-?
PS...Thanks to that last post for the Chicken Buns recipe! Sounds really easy and Yummy! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle