Saturday, August 19, 2006

Scaling to the Heights . . . Or Not

God asked me to climb a mountain, and I took off with zest. The steps were labored, but the burn felt good. I climbed with a fresh excitement about scaling to the heights.

I met a friend along the trail. She waved me down. “I really, really want to go to the top and bask in the view, but I don’t have time. Could you pleeeeese take this camera and get some shots for me? Oh, I’d really appreciate it.”

“Sure,” I plopped her camera into my pack.

A little farther, my husband was waiting by the trail. “Hon, good thing I caught you. I have these supplies I was supposed to drop off at the peak, can you take them for me? It’s an emergency.”

I smile. “I’d love to.”

My steps are more sluggish with the added weight, but I shrug it off. Getting to the peak’s important. It’s a mission for God.

Not too long later I see a leader in my church.

“Oh, good thing you’re here. I have a meeting on the peak in ten minutes, and I can’t make it. I’ve always trust you. Can you take my place? You can make it if you sprint.”

Weary now from the added load, I really want to decline, but he looks so desperate.

“Okay, just this once.”

“I knew I could count on you,” he says, as he flashes a grin and starts back down the mountain.

After ten minutes of sprinting I crash to the ground. My heart is pounding and my legs are killing me. Why did I think this journey would be fun?

“Lord,” I cry out in desperation. “Why did you ask me to do this? Didn’t you know it would be too much for me?”

It was then I heard His voice echoing through the trees, “Daughter, what I asked you to do was to climb a mountain, and I gave you the strength to do so. It was your choice to add the burdens I asked others to carry . . .”

In his book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen Covey once said, “You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage--pleasantly, smilingly, nonapologetically--to say ‘no’ to other things. And the way you do that is by having a bigger ‘yes’ burning inside. The enemy of the 'best' is often the ‘good.’ ”

And in God's Word, we read: “For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men.” (Acts 5:39)

So, does this relate to you at all today? Have you taken on more than God has asked you to? It's a question I'm pondering myself.

2 Comments:

At Saturday, 19 August, 2006, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass said...

Oh my.

I was there this time last year. I've been at Jesus' feet for awhile now, but I noticed I started saying yes to a whole bunch of burdens that didn't belong to me.

Let's just say God put me in a position that I couldn't go anywhere or do anything outside of my home these past two weeks. Now I think I know why.

 
At Saturday, 19 August, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Yes, God speaks to us in many ways, doesn't He?

Thanks for sharing, Michelle!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle