Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Guest Blogger...Cara Putman


Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow.
Today we’re supposed to get more than 12 inches of snow in balmy Lafayette, Indiana. The temperatures got above ten degrees for two days before this blizzard slams into us. Nothing like enforced family time. My husband is flying back from Florida tonight, so at this point I’m praying he makes it back. If this trip is like his other recent jaunts, he’ll get stranded or rerouted at least once just to keep him on his toes. And even if he makes it to Indianapolis, there’s no guarantee he’ll make the hour north to home.
Without him, it’s just the kids and me. Stuck in a house. The sixth day without dad. I’d like to call it quiet, quality time, but I know me too well. Investing time in our kids is so critical, and studies show Gen Xers believe this is an important area to invest in. However, reality sometimes makes this investment less than perfect.
There are so many times I want to bite my tongue after my words come out a bit sharper than I intended. Or my focus gets distracted by keeping up with two kids, a husband, and a house the size of ours. I don’t like feeling like a perpetual maid. We’ll probably play card games. Shovel a lot of snow. Bake some cookies and have a tea party or picnic on the floor. Read books. Read books. Read more books. All to keep us engaged and occupied.
So what do you do to make the time with your kids actually count as quality time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle