Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Little Things...

This morning I got the same messages from two different devotional books I’m reading. What are the odds??? There are no odds, because I know in God’s kingdom everything is for a purpose.

So what are these messages?

God desires you to be faithful with the small assignments He’s given you before He moves you on to bigger ones. He’s more concerned with character--training you into the type of person He can use.

When God gives you an assignment, the timing is now. Not next week or next year. He’s chosen this timing for a reason.

The most important person is the one right in front of you. Jesus was the perfect example of this.

No one seeks the things of God unless God is at work.

So, how am I going to apply this? I already have.

First, I was on my exercise bike when my daughter came into the room. “What are you doing today, Mom?” I was reading, but I put the book down. We chatted about nothing in particular, but it was nice. I showed her she was important. Later, I noticed her whole attitude was great. She even went out of her way to be nice to her brother, go figure.

Second, my youngest son had a frown. His dad had limited his video game time per day and it had him stressed out. “What am I going to do instead?” he asked. We talked about some things he liked, including two hobbies he enjoys but hasn’t developed: dog training and cartooning. I told him I’d put some books and videos on hold for him at the library for him. After we talked, his face brightened. “Thanks Mom.”

They are little things … or are they? I know that most of the time I run through my day with MY agenda in mind. I’m going to continue to work on these four things, leaving the leading up to the Lord.

Who knows what will come out of it? Peaceful hearts? Better family connections? Friends and family members who come to Christ better? Strangers that join God’s kingdom?

Now that will be well worth it.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, 29 May, 2007, Blogger amyanne said...

Hmmm...God is so amazing. Your post so prepared me for today. After a long weekend away camping with the kids, I was ready and raring to go this morning with a million things that I "needed" to get done. Work, work, work.

About 9 a.m., kids are off to school, I'm at the computer with my coffee when my husband comes into the room and says, "we haven't seen each other in 4 days, let's go on a little date this morning". Okay...

Back by 10:30. At the computer again. There comes a knock on the door--this time it's my neighbor from Jane, an awesome Christian lady from Kenya. She's here raising money for a food program for her village. (That we even know her is Divine Providence!) Five minutes later my 85 year-old-neighbor Harold knocks on the door,too.

Now it's 2:00, I've fed people lunch, made cookies, listened, been totally blessed, and been prayed over. The kids will be home in an hour. I have accomplished nothing on my to-do list, but I have seen God at work and have shared His love with others. I am the better for it. Today was not even about me, but somehow it seems like it has been tailor made for me!

So, anyway, thank you for being obedient to share what is on your heart. It changed my perspective as God used it to remind me that "the most important person is the one right in front of me". And to remember that today is what God has for me on His agenda!

 
At Wednesday, 30 May, 2007, Blogger Jen's Journey said...

I was just blessed by a short story written by a local college student. She is a single mom and the story tells about how she tended to ignore her child when they went on a shopping trip for something SHE wanted. He begged her for something and after his continuous insistence that she buy something in particular, they loaded up in the car without the item SHE wanted. She asked if HE was happy, with sarcasm. He answered yes and gave her the item he had insisted she purchase. He said he wanted it for her. It was a box with a bug and the lid was inscribed with the words I Love You!

So, she didn't pay attention to the person in front of her. But, he paid attention to her. And she was humbled by the experience.

 
At Wednesday, 30 May, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was a great one.... thank you. you are such a wonderful mother!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle