Friday, February 15, 2008

Sad, but not hopeless...


I'm sad. Very sad. On February 1, during the first two minutes of a basketball game Cory (18) jumped up to block a shot and landed on his leg wrong. He crumbled to the ground, wringing in pain and I knew something was very wrong. I debated if I should run out there onto the court. I didn't. I let his coach help him off. Cory was hopping and wincing. He couldn't put any weight on it. He iced his knee for the game, and by the end he was feeling better. We hoped it was just a bad sprain.

On Monday I took him to the free sports' clinic. Cory was hobbling around and he said it didn't hurt too bad. (Looking back I think he was hoping it wasn't serious and didn't want to worry us.) From the look on the doctor's face I knew it was worse than we thought. "It's swollen and he doesn't have much flexibility. I suggest a MRI. It doesn't look good."

We scheduled the MRI for three days later. And waited and waited, hoping for the best. Cory had the MRI and then we waited for the results.
The call came Friday and the doctor wanted both of us on the phone. He told us that Cory completely tore his ACL (which is a ligament in his knee). We found out then that Cory wouldn't be finishing off his basketball season. As a starter and a senior, he was VERY bummed.

He'll be going to physical therapy for a few weeks to strengthen his knee, and then they'll schedule him for surgery. He's really scared at the thought about being cut open for the surgery. (Please pray he'll have peace!)

It makes me sad, very sad, to know that Cory worked so hard only to have his basketball years end like this. Two years ago he spent more time sitting the bench than playing, and he really worked hard to improve his game.

BUT as I told Cory yesterday, I'm very proud of him. He set a goal and he worked hard to achieve it. He DID succeed. He did his very best. He is a winner.

I also told him it's a good chance to show Christian character. It's easy to "do" something. It's harder to support others, to cheer him on. He agreed. And he's been REALLY cheering. I think he's as serious about cheering now as he was about playing.

I'm sad, but mostly I'm proud--tough stuff happens but it's how we react that truly proves our character. How we handle pain and disappointment shows much more than how we handle success.



Stop Lurking! Every week I will draw names for a free Tricia Goyer book from those who comment on my blogs. Winner's choice! Tell your friends. Last week's winner was Susan who left a comment on my CCM page! Congrat's Susan...send your mailing address to my assistant amy@triciagoyer.com!

4 Comments:

At Friday, 15 February, 2008, Blogger windycindy said...

Hi, I am sorry about your son's leg. My two sons play baseball and have worked hard, also! I pray that he heels quickly. Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

 
At Saturday, 16 February, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for him AND you! I know that's disappointing. We have several personal experiences with this type of thing...in my husband's pre-Air Force life, he was a baseball player. Quite talented, he was signed by the Baltimore Orioles and went to spring training (with Cal Ripkin!) for one of their minor league teams. Sadly, he blew out his elbow halfway through spring training...and thus his MLB career was over. It's a tough lesson...but what an opportunity to exercise some Christian spirit-led discipline. It's all about figuring out what defines you as a person--is it Christ or is it your career or sport or (fill in the blank)?

Blessings!
Diane

 
At Tuesday, 19 February, 2008, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Thanks for your support ladies!

 
At Saturday, 23 February, 2008, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Wow, what an amazing story! You're right ... as long as we have Christ that's all we need!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle