Tuesday, August 22, 2006

10 Questions for Mary DeMuth



10 Questions for Mary DeMuth

1. Tricia: Mary, you're a mom, writer, and a missionary in France. How do you balance it all?

Mary: I’m not sure! I now have a life coach who is helping me sort out what to do in terms of scheduling. With writing, I set specific goals (10,000 words a week for fiction, 6-7000 words a week for nonfiction). Outside of that, I coordinate worship, publications, graphics and the website for our church as well as host a home group (I’m getting tired just writing all that). I am trying to keep writing restricted to the time when my children are in school, but it sometimes spills over. One thing I’ve done well this year is establish a Sabbath rest each week on Sunday. I make brunch and dinner the night before. We sleep in, eat brunch, take walks, do art—all sorts of rejuvenating things. This has really helped my crazy-busy heart.

2. Tricia: You call yourself a Pioneer Parent. What does this term mean to you? What type of encouragement do you have for other pioneer parents?

Mary: I’m someone who doesn’t want to duplicate the home I was raised in; therefore, I’m a pioneer parent. I am doing something new. I’ve had no example. There are many pioneer parents out there, many of whom feel lost, alone, discouraged, or overwhelmed. That’s why I wrote Building the Christian Family You Never Had—to let pioneer parents know they are not alone, and that God can take even the most shattered childhood and heal us enough to make us better parents.

3. Tricia: Laughter is good medicine. What is something one of your kid's has done recently that made you laugh?

Mary: We went to Baylor rehab in Dallas (we’re on furlough right now) because a friend of ours had a stroke. She’s doing really well, thank the Lord. But while we were there, we went to a class with her. Across the room was a man with a patch on his eye. Our eight year old Julia said (loudly), “Look, mom, there’s a pirate!”

4. Tricia: What was one of your most embarrassing motherhood moments? (Spill it, sister!)

Mary: This year I misunderstood my daughter Julia’s art teacher. I thought she was responsible for mounting and framing Julia’s piece. My French is okay, but sometimes I miss details like this. So when we went to our village’s art exhibition, I was saddened to see that Julia’s masterpiece wasn’t there because I didn’t frame it. I felt absolutely horrible and stupid.

5. Tricia: One of the biggest struggles busy moms have is keeping the romance alive with their spouses. Do you have any tips for this?

Mary: Go on weekly dates. I can’t stress how important connection with your spouse outside of raising children is. Someday you’ll have to spend A LOT of time with each other when the kids are gone. Make it a practice now!

6. Tricia: Are you an introvert or extravert? How has this affected your parenting?

Mary: Hmmmm. My husband and I argue (kindly) about this. I think I’m an extrovert; he thinks I’m an introvert. I can say that I’ve become more introverted as a writer and as a person trying to adjust to France. How that has affected me is that I’m not as willing to go out there and make lots of French mistakes. And sometimes my kids are embarrassed at their toddler-French-speaking mother.

7. Tricia: Being a mom is hard work. When all the burdens of motherhood come crashing down on you, where do you turn?

Mary: Jesus. My husband. My friends. I pray a lot. I fail a lot. I ask the kids for forgiveness. And then I pray some more.

8. Tricia: Why do you feel it's important for moms to cultivate thankfulness in their lives?

Mary: Because we’re bombarded with negativity all the time. When I’m grateful, it spills over into the atmosphere of my home.

9. Tricia: Dr. Seuss or Sponge Bob?

Mary: Bob Leponge! He’s much more funny in FRENCH!!! The kids giggle when they watch him say stupid things in French. It’s hilarious.

10. Tricia: You call consumerism the religion of the US. What can moms do to make sure God is first in their homes and lives?

Mary: Turn off the TV. Limit media. Talk about advertisements. Educate kids about why advertisers are in business. Help them learn contentment by taking them on mission trips to the third world. Sponsor a child.

Thanks, Tricia!

Thank you, Mary!

Mary's blogs:
http://relevantblog.blogspot.com/

Mary's website:
http://www.relevantprose.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle