Wednesday, August 23, 2006

How Things Work

One of my son's favorite homeschool subjects is science, especially when we spent time last year checking out the "How Things Work" videos from the library. He loved learning how car engines worked, what enables planes to fly, and other interesting facts. To Nathan it was fascinating stuff.

I thought about those videos this morning, as I was reading "The Beloved Disciple" by Beth Moore. This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for a few years (as are 999 others!). And if you haven't read it yet, I'd highly recommend it.

Anyway, here is a quote that really spoke to me this morning:

"So how does Christ make a man or a woman? . . . The most immediate way He began building his new followers into the people He wanted them to be was by spending intense time with them and showing them how He worked." p. 24

This one quote spoke to me in two ways.

1) We become the men and women God has called US to be when we spend intense time with God and when we study how He works.

2) But, as a mom, I also thought of my kids. How do they grow into men and women of God? By, at first, modeling me as I spend intense time with them, showing them how God works in and through my life.

Heavy. I know.

Beth Moore goes on:

"As they watched this man named Jesus, this carpenter's son, and they fellowshipped with Him then witnessed His work, what do you think they saw? Consistency? Versatility? Unwavering passion? Or a lamb as often as a lion? The center of all attention? Or a teacher that became a student of all those around Him? We know they saw absolute authenticity, but how do you imagine they saw it portrayed?" p. 25

Beth doesn't provide the answers, but instead encourages readers to think about such matters and try to grasp the flesh-and-blood reality of these encounters. It boggles my mind, really, when I think about Jesus and his disciples sitting around the dinner table with Jesus' family (which happened soon after they were called away from their fishing boats). Or all of them walking the roads, talking about life and God.

And also, since school preparation has been one of my priorities lately, reading Beth's words also makes me consider my priorities as a mom and designer of my children's education. I mean music lessons, sports teams, and academic enrichment courses are great and all, but I need to remember how Christ made men and women of God. He didn't fill their time and minds with numerous "good things," but rather focused on the one most important thing. Himself.

It makes me reconsider how things should work around here . . .

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, 23 August, 2006, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass said...

Oh goodness. God has been convicting me of exactly the same thing.

Yesterday, (I think I'll make a post out of this) it took my stubborn little son 5 hours to put away some clothes. I set the rule: You put away your clothes then I'll discuss what comes next. But he was hungry. He was tired. He was sick. It was too hard. He couldn't do it. He wanted my help. He begged. He cried. He got mad and stomped his feet. (You seeing this yet?)

I stood my ground and followed through. 5 HOURS!! Then he finally put his clothes away and said, "There. Are you happy now?"

And later, I thought, Oh.God. Is this what I do to you? Is this what it's like when you tell me to do something? And my heart was broke.

Then I thought, Oh.God. Is this what I'm teaching my son.

Now I read this post and I know things have got to change.

 
At Friday, 25 August, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Every day God shows me something I need to change. Then there are those messages He repeats. I get overwhelmed with not being able to succeed.

Then God reminds me: The fruit of the spirit, love, joy, peace, faithfulness, gentlness, self-control (did I miss one?) is the FRUIT of His Spirit at work in me. I can't exhibit those thing, but when I connect with Him, He can work through me.

What a relief!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle