Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Guest Blogger...Cara Putman

Those Days

Ever have one of those days?

You know. The one where you are convinced ANYONE could do this parenting thing so much better than you.

The one where it’s too cold to go outside, and you know you could replace all our energy woes if you could just figure out how to harness the kids? Or every time you turn around your words and tone are so much sharper than you intended? One where potty training regresses? The three year old asserts all kinds of independence without the cushion of a nap? The six year old digs her heels in the dirt and refuses to cooperate because it’s not fun?

Anyone else ever have weeks, days, hours like that? Please tell me I’m not the only one.

I don’t have all the answers – even when it might sound like I do. But I know the One with the answers.

And on the hard days, I cling to the fact that my God sees all. He knows all. He doesn’t make mistakes. He knows the end result and still decided I was the best woman to mother my children. And even on the days that I really want to believe He made a mistake, another part of me clings to the comfort that He sees something in me that is just what my children need.

He also knew that my children were exactly what I needed. That they would rub (who am I kidding, sand-blast!) things out of my life that couldn’t be removed any other way. That my sense of inadequacy in parenting would drive me to my knees in fresh and on-going ways.

One thing I am learning is that this process does not end at a magical age. There is no magic pill or age that ends the angst. Instead, many mothers of grown children assure me (with the sweetest smiles) that you never stop mothering, worrying, and praying.

How does God whisper to your heart on those hard parenting days?

2 Comments:

At Friday, 08 December, 2006, Blogger Karen Hossink said...

Yes, Cara, I have had those weeks, days and hours, too. You are NOT alone. I am convinced God is using my children and my struggles as a mother to make me into the woman He wants me to be. (That's what my book is all about.) I am clinging to that hope!
So, how does He whisper to my heart on those hard days? I honestly believe God hugs me, kisses me, and tells me He loves me through the mouth of my six-year-old. And when Matthew hugs me and tells me he loves me - just when I need it most - I smile and tell Him I love Him, too.

Blessings,
Karen

 
At Saturday, 09 December, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

When my kids were toddlers we had good friends with teenagers. They were awesome teens who were fun to be around and loved hanging out with their parents. Their parents had homeschooled them and taught them the things of God. They were loving, but firm. When I grew so tired of disciplining AGAIN, I remember the end result. And God would remind me to "run the race set before me with endurance." He also reminded me that "in my weakness his strength is complete!" Now that my kids are teens, I'm reaping the benefits from those early years of diligence. They are not perfect kids (far from it) but they love God and their family, which I think is great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle