Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Guest Blogger...Cara Putman


Christmas Cookies Galore.

This week we’re in the midst of a Christmas tradition at the Putman house. Christmas cookie baking. All kinds are sitting in my freezer already: chocolate espresso cookies, strawberry pockets, chocolate/marshmallow/chocolate, Gingerbread, chocolate chip, peanut butter, biscotti, apple date, and I’m sure I’m missing something. I think I’ll stop this year with sugar cookies; the dough is made, now to find the time and patience to cut them out.

I don’t know when this became a tradition. I just know that we have done it for years.

I love to bake, but finding a way to include the kids without going crazy has taken time. I think I did it this evening.

Jonathan is now old enough to help, so he and Abigail stood on chairs at the counter cutting out all kinds of Gingerbread cookies. I watched patiently as they consistently cut the cookies out of the center of the dough. Not the most efficient process. But God is using them to work on me.

Efficiency isn’t what’s important. What matters is spending the time with them. Building memories together. Using the cookies as an excuse to minister to neighbors and friends. But also letting the kids experience the joy of creating and giving.

So my prayer for me and for you this holiday season is that God will expand our patience so we can enjoy the season and traditions with our children.

Cara C. PutmanCanteen Dreams -- coming October 2007 (Heartsong Presents)
The Law, Life & Books: http://carasmusings.blogspot.com
Original Writer for Jake Tremaine at Scenes & Beans:http://kannerlake.blogspot.com

2 Comments:

At Thursday, 14 December, 2006, Blogger Gina Conroy said...

I used to hate to bake with the kids because they drove me crazy. Now I can tolerate it with my little ones, though I found the best way to bake this holiday season is to let my babysitter do it! She's baking right now with my youngest and every once and a while I get up and supervise!

It's the most productive baking session to date! Oh, and don't worry. I have tons of less stressful traditions we do with our family!

 
At Thursday, 14 December, 2006, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

I buy premade cookie dough :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle