Monday, October 09, 2006

Just Believe

Don't you love it when God sends a message so clearly you CAN'T help but slap your forehead. Duh!

Today, was one of those moments. See if you can find the WORD God kept bringing up in my devotional time today.

I want to ask you a critical question: Is the sceope of your belief in Christ in the past-tense security of salvation, or can you be caught in the active, ongoing lifestyle of believing Christ? In other words, are we simply nouns--believers? Or are we also verbs--believing? . . .

In reality, what we believe is measured by what we live, not by what we say. If your life were a Gospel like John's, who could people "believe" your Jesus to be? Think specifically and concretely. Based on your life, might people believe Jesus to be a Redeemer because He ahs obviously redeemed your life from a pit? Or a Healer because He has healed you from a certain disease? Please keep in mind these kinds of questions are to provoke our deep meditations. They will either help us see progress and reason for rejoicing or help us to see where we want to go.
--Beth Moore, The Beloved Disciple, p. 139-140

The greatest need we have is not to do things, but to believe things.
Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, October 9

John 6:26-29 NTL

26 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, you want to be with me because I fed you, not because you understood the miraculous signs. 27 But don’t be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you. For God the Father has given me the seal of his approval.”

28 They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?”

29 Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”

I don't know about you, but it's easy for me to believe God can accomplish BIG things--like making it possible for me to meet a writing deadline or changing the heart of a teen mom I mentor.

It's the little stuff I struggle with (as you can see from my last post). Worries about how much I can accomplish in one day. Concerns about spending enough time, energy, and care on my family. Struggle with what to do first.

But in my heart, God is speaking one word to me today: BELIEVE. Believe that God is all-powerful and always present in the day-to-day stuff too. BELIEVE that He is at work in all things and He is guiding me in these as I BELIEVE that God is who He says He is and He can do what He says He can do.

1 Comments:

At Monday, 09 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post reminds me of what I read in my Beth Moore Bible study this week ("Daniel"):

God is the God of our details! He cares about our "small stuff"! :)

Great post! Thanks! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle