Friday, January 30, 2009

The Shaping of Mother

In November and December I ran a contest asking:

What is one way motherhood has shaped YOU?

I'm taking your answers and running a series called "The Shaping of Mother". I was so blessed by your answers. Some serious, some laugh-out-loud funny! Priceless.

If you didn't get a chance to give your two cents, do so now. Just leave a comment. I'll be choosing one random commentor to receive a copy of Blue Like Play Dough when it releases in July.

Melinda: From the pains of childbirth to the pain of watching your child struggle with something in life, mothering has taught me how to hurt, really hurt. But it has also taught me how to love, unselfishly, deeper and stronger than I ever thought possible.

Tracey: Motherhood has shaped me by changing the way I relate to women. A complete re-model from competitors to compatriots. (I love this answer!)

Cheri: Where do I start? Motherhood transformed my natural bent. I can now slow down, listen actively, put others first, and encourage priorities other than my own. My children are better for it and so am I.

Elizabeth: As a mother with only one of four still at home, my first thought is of trials as our children grow older. I've learned that I can be flattened like playdough on a comic strip, peeled back with an imprint of "What was that!" Then be rolled gently back into shape a little tougher on the outside, but still soft and mushy on the inside. The tough and tender love of a mother's heart. Somehow we manage to keep bouncing back.

Lauren: Being a Mommy has shaped me in innumerable ways. I used to live my life without a thought as to the consequences of my actions or what my parents went through as parents of their "wild child". When my son was born, I was suddenly a Mom. I wanted him to have a mom he could look up to and be proud of. One that he could really talk to, about anything, without fear of judgment or riducule. It made me look at my lifestyle, my relationships, my career path, my faith. Having someone call me "mommy" has shaped me into a much better person that I could ever hope to have been and I am profoundly grateful and proud to say that is the relationship I do have with my son (and daughter) who are now 15 and 13 respectively.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, 01 February, 2009, Blogger Amy said...

I find myself mothering other people, my co-workers, my girlfriends and the funny part is, I do not feel like a nurturer.

I am not a touchy feely person but I do service acts-little things to make their day.

As a mother,motherhood has shaped me to see life in a different view point. Life is more important than the cleaning and such. Today was going out sledding in the beautiful, cold sunny day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle