Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Understanding Generation X

Here is a very interesting article on Understanding Generation X...

Generation X was brought up on television, Atari 2600s and computers. They were raised in the 1970s and 1980s and witnessed the country undergoing a national pessimism. As children, they sensed that adults were not in control of themselves or the country. Vietnam and Three Mile Island affected them. They were more fearful of catastrophes than their parents.
In general, members of Gen X distrusted leadership and were politically apathetic. Many grew up in complex families of divorces, stepfamilies and blended families.

Their employment was considered volatile as they experienced the economic recession of the early 1990s and 2000s. Permanent jobs were replaced with short-term contracts. It was a time of outsourcing and underemployment. Some found themselves overeducated and underemployed. Male wage earners earned less than their fathers at the same age.

They saw themselves as pragmatic and quick. Money was considered survival. According to Strauss and Howe, Gen Xers were taught not to trust others, and survival had to come first. They came of age with a sense of social distance - of adults expecting little from them and doing little for them.

Television shows captured their concerns and values. The TV show "Friends" typified the employment and relationship environment. "Beverly Hills, 90210," "Melrose Place" and "The Simpsons" were popular among this group. Gen Xers helped make "The Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" box-office successes.

"What do Gen Xers want?" is a question frequently asked by today's employers.
read the rest here

Stop Lurking! Every week I will draw names for a free Tricia Goyer book from those who comment on my blogs. Winner's choice! Tell your friends.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, 19 March, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tricia, I'm a Gen X'er, and I just love the education I'm getting about my generation through reading your Generation NeXt Marriage! Now I can't wait to get my hands on your parenting book! You definitely have a gift, to be able to write non-fiction and fiction so well. I'm not usually a non-fiction fan, but your style really holds me.

Thanks for the education! ;)

 
At Monday, 24 March, 2008, Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Thank you, Mary, I'm glad your enjoying Gen X Marriage. I'm getting an awesome response from other Gen Xers ... we are more similar than we thought!

I'm blessed God has allowed me to write both fiction and non-fiction. I enjoy them both ... mostly when the book is done :-)

Tricia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

buy unique gifts at Zazzle